Nice chromolithography on the Douaumont fort. Fort Douaumont, briefly called Fort Gérard, is a fortified structure located in the commune of Douaumont-Vaux (Meuse department), in the delegated commune of Douaumont. It is one of the forts of the stronghold of Verdun, part of the Séré de Rivières system.
Built between 1884 and 1886 and modernized between 1901 and 1913, the fort was one of the emblematic places of the battle of Verdun in 1916: taken by the German troops in February, it was retaken by the French in October of the same year. Since the end of the First World War, its ruins have attracted tourists; since 1970 it has been classified as a historical monument.
War 14-18 - Grand East - France
Very good state
Sign up & benefit from discounts or exclusive offers.