Under the terms of article 4 of the armistice agreement signed with Germany on June 22, 1940, the French army was limited to "the troops necessary to maintain internal order".
Apart from the officers and non-commissioned officers, who were active military personnel, it was to be made up solely of volunteers. Military service was suspended and replaced by a period of eight months in the "Youth Workshops". However, as the flow of enlistments proved insufficient, Vichy kept some of the conscripts of the 1938 and 1939 classes, who had previously been drafted, under the flag, and at the same time launched a major recruitment campaign. This poster was published in 1941 by the Ministry-Secretary of State for War and produced in Clermont-Ferrand (the closest large city to Vichy, the seat of the French government) by the Mont-Louis printing house, under the aegis of the Sogno agency.
Military - Aviation - 39-45
Learn a metier
Mont Louis Clermont Ferrand
Good condition, restorations
Sign up & benefit from discounts or exclusive offers.